KMARTO and other Fine Wines


Well it appears that there are others that have actually seen "KMARTO" the fine aperitif brought to you by your local K-Mart vintner. I wrote some time ago about finding 2 bottles in a center isle
display of a K-mart in Gainesville Fla. in the 1970's. My plan was to send them to Johnny Carson since he was hitting them pretty hard at the time. Lost to time, these valuable pieces of history were found stored in the attic of the old homestead ( just imagine the temperature variations, I'm sure it aged well.....NOT). So here is a photo of the one surviving bottle, the Lambrusco. The Bianco didn't fair so well. I wonder if Target has a vineyard.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I just learned about Kmarto while playing an engaging game of Trivial Pursuit, Genis 4 and was surprised to find so little information on the internet about such an amazing relic of American history. Thank you for the image, I needed visualisation- you may very well have the last bottle left on the planet!
Lily J. Noonan said…
Hehee... I myself am the proud owner of THREE bottles of the Kmarto - two Biancos & a Lambrusco. One even has the remnants of a price sticker indicating the $1.96 price. And funny enough, these came from the Gainesville, FLA Kmart, too, though I seem to recall my family acquiring them in the early 80s....
Anonymous said…
I also found out about Kmarto while playing Trivial Pursuit. Maybe someone should create a Wikipedia entry for this.
JennyM said…
I also purchased my Kmarto from the Kmart on N. Main in Gainesville, in the mid 1980's. Gave some as gifts, one to my sister who entered it in a tacky wine contest and came in 2nd (to Elvis Wine.)
I have one empty bottle left and wish I had saved more for gag gifts.
Anonymous said…
I read once that a pretty wealthy New England family always has a bottle of KMarto in their family/group photos as a joke.

Popular posts from this blog

Purina feed recall announced-Aflatoxin confirmed

How Horses could help fight "BIRD FLU"

Headshaking Syndrome....Just the facts